Why you need to try a Facial Steam
We launched our Mask With Me Bespoke Facial Ritual earlier this month and alongside a gorgeous edit of award winning soapNskin products we also included a fragrant floral steam… But why?
Well there really is nothing quite like indulging in a facial, but incorporating a steam into the regime takes your facial to a whole new level and one that we wanted you all to experience.
It not only feels indulgent, but it also cleanses and nourishes your skin, helps with product absorption and leaves a lasting glow.
What does steam do for your skin?
- Deeply cleansing: Steam is very effective in opening up the pores and loosening dirt and grime, that would otherwise have been trapped, allowing for a deeper cleanse. This in turn, helps to release acne causing bacteria that otherwise would have been trapped in your pores.
- Boosts circulation: The warm steam boosts your circulation, the increase in blood flowing to your face helps to deliver oxygen to the skin thus improving complexion and helping the skin to radiate a glow. The increase in blood flow to the skin also promotes collagen and elastin production, resulting in more youthful and firmer skin.
- Improves product absorption: Steam increases your skins ability to absorb product, which means the products you apply topically afterwards can penetrate deeper into the skin.
Aside from the obvious benefits to your skin, incorporating steam into your at home facial is incredibly easy and affordable. What we love most about a facial steam is you can completely customise it to your needs, it can be as basic or luxe as you want or need it to be using supplies that you’ll already have at home…
What you Need:
- Large fluffy towel.
- Heat resistant bowl
- Hot (hand hot water is ideal – where you can comfortably place your hands in the water, not very hot and definitely not boiling water)
- Dried flowers, essential oils or herbal teas for infusion
How to Steam?
- Wear comfortable clothing.
- Choose a comfortable area where you can rest a bowl safely and a seat.
- Prepare your skin before you steam. It’s important that your face and neck have been cleansed.
- Fill a large heat resistant bowl with hot water (not boiling) so that it is 2/3 full.
- Optional You can infuse natural flowers, essential oils or even green tea into the water for added benefit.
- Take a seat and lower you face over the bowl. Drape the towel over the head and also cover the bowl. Take care not to lower your face to low, keep it at least 6 inches away from the water. Close eyes.
- Your can regulate the intensity of the steam based on you needs by raising/lower your head from/to the bowl. You can also lift a corner of the towel to release some steam if you find that you need to cool off.
- Steam your face in this way for 5-10 mins.
You can follow the basic principles of steaming by using a sink instead of a large bowl and still reap the benefits of steaming by omitting the towel.
The beauty of steaming is in its versatility. Steaming with just water is incredibly beneficial for the skin, but you can level up by incorporating dried flowers, essential oils and even tea.
By infusing these items into the water just before you begin to steam, you’re able to draw in their benefits into you skin during the steam.
Our fragrant floral steaming pouch included in our Mask with Me Facial Ritual includes a aromatic blends of dried rose to hydrate, chamomile to soothe and calm and hibiscus flowers to tone and firm the skin. Infusing green tea is another favourite, as it imparts potent anti-oxidant properties into the steam.
Ingredients to try
If you want to try steaming at home the following natural additions can really boost your steam game.
- Chamomile Tea – It’s calming and soothing properties make this a particularly good addition to your steam for inflammation and dermatitis or if you have sensitive skin.
- Rosemary – It’s antimicrobial properties make this a good choice for acne prone or oily skin.
- Lavender – Is soothing and calming, helps to relieve itchy skin conditions like eczema whilst also boasting astringent and anti-bacterial properties.
- Rose – Is incredibly cleansing and toning whilst also very hydrating. Helps to reduce redness, scarring and fine lines.
- Fresh Lemon Peel – Lightens age spots whilst also detoxifying and softening the skin. It’s aroma is truly uplifting and invigorating.
Words of Caution
Steam burns can cause more damage the boiling water so please be careful when using hot water. Ensure that it is not very hot, definitely not boiling, as a gauge, you should be able to comfortably place your hand in the water.
Don’t get your face too close to the steam as it could burn. You need to feel comfortably hot, like a sauna. If your skin is very sensitive try steaming without the towel.
Safe to say we're fans of the humble facial steam and would definitely urge you to consider incorporating it into your facial routine. We love its versatility and accessibility, all you need is hot water and a towel. The results it garners really are worth that extra 5 mins plus it feels really luxe when you infuse the ritual with some decadent blooms. If you fancy experiencing our Bespoke Facial Ritual, which includes a fragrant floral steam click here.